Main Image


Scroll down for answers to our most frequently asked questions about Birth/Death Records and Voting.

Birth/Death Records

Q. How do I correct or change a record?
The Michigan Department of Community Health Vital Records Office must make any correction or change to a Michigan birth or death record.  The Grosse Pointe City Clerk’s Office is unable to make changes to a vital record.  If you need an application for a correction or change call (517) 335-8660 or visit the State website at

Q. How do I obtain death records?

The City Clerk only maintains Death Records for persons whose death occurred, either within the City limits, or at Beaumont Hospital Grosse Pointe (formerly Bon Secours Hospital).  A death record application form is available under City Clerk Downloads.

  • You will need to complete a death record request form.
  • The death record request form must completed and submitted, by mail or in person, to the City Clerk's office.
  • All fee requirements and the city's mailing address are listed at the top of the printable form.  
Please Note:   Acceptable forms of payment are personal checks or money orders made payable to the City of Grosse Pointe.  Cash should be used for walk-in payments only and not sent through the mail.

Q. Is there an Information Hotline?
State of Michigan Department of Community Health 24 Hour Information Hotline: (517) 335-8656

Q. It is urgent that I obtain a record. What should I do?
If a birth or death record request is urgent, the State of Michigan Vital Records Office offers expedited service for mail and walk-in customers for a fee.  The State of Michigan also offers Federal Express (1-2 next business day delivery) available within the Continental U.S. for an additional fee.  This service is only available for online credit card ordering through the State website The City of Grosse Pointe does not offer expedited or overnight delivery services for birth or death record requests.

Q. Where are original birth and death records maintained?
The State of Michigan Vital Records Office maintains all original birth and death records.  As an additional source, vital records can be requested through the State office by mail, office walk-in or online at State of Michigan Vital Records Office lobby hours:  8 am - 5 pm.
Mailing address:  Vital Records Request, PO Box 30721, Lansing, MI  48909.

Q. Who is eligible to order a certified copy of a birth certificate?
1. Person named on the record 15 years old and older
2. Parent(s) named on the active record
3. Court of competent jurisdiction
4. Legal representative of person named on record
5. An individual or agency that has full guardianship
6. Heir of deceased person named on record
7. State or federal agency

Q. Who is not eligible to order a certified copy of a birth certificate?
1. Power of Attorney
2. Individuals with Custody
3. Agencies without Court Order
4. Spouse
5. Children of Registrant
6. Siblings
  • The request form must completed and submitted by mail, or in person, to the City Clerk's office.
  • Applicants must show photo identification when applying in person. No exceptions will be made to this policy.
  • Applicants must send a copy of photo identification when submitting a request by mail.
  • All fee requirements and the city's mailing address are listed at the top of the printable form.
Please Note: Acceptable forms of payment are personal checks or money orders made payable to the City of Grosse Pointe. Cash should be used for walk-in payments only and not sent through the mail.

Voting Information

Q. Am I eligible to vote?
Qualified voters must be able to answer yes to the following statements:
  • You are a citizen of the United States
  • You are a resident of the State of Michigan for 30 days
  • You are a resident of the City of Grosse Pointe

Q. Because I registered to vote by mail and have not voted in Michigan before, I must vote in person. Is there a way I can vote absentee?
Under Michigan law, if you register to vote by mail, you must appear in person to vote in the first election in which you wish to participate (this provision does not apply if you are 60 years old, disabled, or an overseas voter.)  If you are subject to the "voting in person" requirement and need  an absentee ballot, you can satisfy the requirement by requesting an absent voter ballot in person from the clerk of the city where you are registered to vote by the day preceding the election.

Q. How do I obtain an Absentee Ballot?
Any registered voter, who cannot go to the polls because of a physical disability or due to an absence from the City or due to being 60 years of age or more, may obtain an Absentee Ballot.  This is done by applying in person or by mail -- as early as 75 days in advance and before and up to 2:00 pm of the Saturday preceding the election. Note:  A written request for an Absentee Ballot must include your signature.  Absentee Ballot Application (PDF)

Q. How do I register to vote in the City of Grosse Pointe?

Register in person during regular business hours at the City Clerk's Office or register at your local Secretary of State.  The 30th day preceding the election is the deadline for registering to vote.  Remember!  If you move, even within the Pointes, you must re-register.  A name change also requires re-registration.

You can verify your voter registration status at the State of Michigan website at:  or at your City Clerk's Office.

Q. Is there a Permanent Absentee Ballot List?
Yes, If you are over the age of 60 and would like an Absentee Ballot application mailed to you, please call (313) 885-5800.  The permanent list allows an application to be mailed to you prior to each election.  

Q. When are the polls open?
Voting poll hours for all elections are 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.

Q. Where do residents of Grosse Pointe City vote?
All registered voters who live in the City vote at Maire School, 740 Cadieux Rd. located on Cadieux Road between Waterloo and Kercheval Avenue.  Voting entrance and parking lot are accessible from Waterloo Avenue.   Picture identification is required and may be scanned each time you vote.