You are here : Departments  >  Municipal Court  >  Municipal F.A.Q.
Municipal Court F.A.Q.

Below are some of our most Frequently Asked Questions.


Q.  Do you handle small claims?

No.  The Municipal Court handles general civil cases with damages up to and including $3000.  The Court also handles landlord/tenant matters.  The judge can grant possession of property and any amount of judgment on landlord tenant cases. 

Q.  Where can I get the court forms?

Some forms are available at the court.  Forms are also available online at www.courts.michigan.gov.

Q.  Are there alternatives to litigation?

Michigan legislature passed the Community Dispute Resolution Act in 1988 that established the Community Dispute Resolution Program. There are now 27 centers throughout the State of Michigan that provide conciliation, mediation, and other forms of dispute resolution to location citizens of Michigan counties; thus providing alternatives to litigation. Refer to the Office of Dispute Resolution – State of Michigan One court of Justice. 

Q.  I received a meter ticket, but I have a handicap permit.  Why?

You must put money into the meter even if you have a handicap permit.  The permit allows one to park in a handicap designated space only.  If the handicap space is meter, you must insert coins into the meter.  An exception to the above is made if you have a handicap placard with a yellow tag indicating that you may park for free.  Permits issued after May 1, 1995, do not qualify for free parking at meter or public ramp unless a doctor certifies that the permit holder has a severe disability.  When such certification is received, the Secretary of States’ office will provide a yellow sticker to put on the permit.  A driver must have a permit with this sticker to park for free, even if there is a handicapper license plate on your car.  Conditions that qualify for a sticker include:

  • Inability to insert coins or take tickets
  • use of wheelchair or similar device
  • Inability to walk over 20 feet
  • Inability to raise arms above head

To qualify for free parking status, you must have your doctor complete a new Handicap Parking Permit Application.

Q.  I received a ticket for parking in a handicap designated space and I have a handicap placard.  Why?

Your handicap placard must be prominently displayed.  If you do not display a valid placard, you will be responsible for the violation.  If your placard was valid, but not displayed, you are responsible for 50% of the original fine upon presenting a valid handicap permit to the court (this must be done before the hearing date for the violation.) 

Q. What are the hours of operation for the parking meters? 

There are 2 drop boxes for payment of violations.  One is in the lobby of the Public Safety Department, the other is in the City Hall parking area driveway.  Payments for violations placed in drop boxes are counted as payments being made the next business day.  Payments dropped off on Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays will be credited on the following Monday. 

Q. What are the hours of operation for the parking meters?

Mondays - Saturday:
Mack                      9 am to 9 pm
Fisher 7 am to 9 pm
Kercheval 9 am to 9 pm


Q.  What violations can be waived?

Statutory authority for the mandatory waiver of fines and costs is limited to four offenses:

  1. No Operators License in Possession - Upon receipt of certification by law enforcement agency that the person, before the appearance date on the citation, produced a license valid on the date of the violation.
  2. Defective Safety Equipment - Repair of defect must be made before the appearance date of the citation.  Citation must be signed on the back by any police agency acknowledging the repair and received by the court prior to the appearance date.
  3. No Proof of Insurance - Waived to a $25.00 state fee is the proof of valid insurance is produced to the court before the appearance date on the citation and the insurance was valid on the date the citation was issued.
  4. No Proof of Registration - Waived upon receipt of certification by law enforcement agency that a valid registration certificate (valid on the date of the violation) was produced prior to the appearance date on the citation.

No other violations are mandated to have fines and costs waived by the Court.  Note:  Expired Plate violations and Child Restraint violations are no longer waivable. 

Q.  Where do I file a civil case in damages in excess of $3,000?

Wayne County Circuit Court. Please be apprised that District Court level cases that fall outside the jurisdiction of municipal court must be filed in the circuit court of the county where the municipal court is located. 

Q. Who can I sue in Grosse Pointe City Municipal Court? 

The defendant must be a resident of the City of Grosse Pointe or the cause of action must have occurred in the City of Grosse Pointe.  If you are not sure, call the court for a more specific answer.