You are here : Departments  >  Public Safety  >  Public Safety F.A.Q.
Public Safety F.A.Q.

Below is a list of our most Frequently Asked Questions.


Q. Who is considered a juvenile under Michigan law?


According to Michigan law, a juvenile is any individual who has not reached the age of 17.

Children Under 17 Years Old:

  • Considered a minor.
  • Under the jurisdiction of the Juvenile Court; the court's purpose is to help young people through applied guidance and control.
  • Depending on the offense and past delinquency record, police and prosecutors make a determination whether to petition the court or apply diversion, allowing the juvenile to be placed in counseling and community service programs (usually through Youth Assistance).
  • Grosse Pointe City Police Department will notify if their child is detained or arrested.

17 Years or Older:

  • Considered an adult.
  • Juvenile procedures do not apply.
  • The Police Department may notify parents when 17 year old child is arrested.

Juveniles May be Treated as Adults

Juveniles as young as 14 years of age may be tried as an adult and given an adult sentence for serious crimes like:

  • Murder
  • Arson
  • Attempted Murder
  • Crimes that inflict serious injury
  • Possession of 650 grams of narcotics


16 years of age shall not loiter, idle or congregate in or on any public street, alley and parks between the hours of 12:00 midnight and 6:00 am.

Exceptions Include:

  1. When the minor is accompanied by parent or other family member who is at least 18  years of age,
  2. When coming from a school church or civic function attended with parental permission.
  3. in course of employment.

The minor can be petitioned to juvenile court for violating curfew.


  • It is unlawful for anyone under 21 years of age to purchase, possess or consume alcohol.  Even if alcohol is detected on the breath, the minor can be in violation.
  • It is unlawful to provide alcohol to a minor, and a person may be sued for the resulting actions of the minor.
  • Zero tolerance for drivers under 21 years of age; blood alcohol content (BAC) cannot exceed .02%.

Alcohol or Drug at Social Gatherings

  • It is unlawful to host or allow a social gathering where illegal drugs are present or alcohol is in use by anyone under 21 years of age.
  • Parents may face criminal and civil liability, even if not present.
  • City ordinance allows officers to enforce excessive noise and disorderly behavior violations.

Controlled Substance

  • It is unlawful to possess, in any shape or form, marijuana, cocaine, LSD, heroin, etc. or any drug not prescribed by a licensed physician.
  • Added penalties apply if the offense occurs within 500 feet of a school or park.
  • Vehicles and property may be forfeited.
  • Minors may face drivers license suspension even if a vehicle is not involved.


  • Minors must obey parents/guardians and follow house rules.
  • Minors must attend school.

Malicious Destruction of Property

Intentionally damaging public or private property belonging to another.

Q.  Are there services available to assist troubled youth before they commit a crime?

Yes, community based programs designed to address the needs of at risk juveniles are available.  Parents, teachers, police officers, and Family Court Judges may make referrals to these programs.  You can contact these community based programs directly at the numbers listed below.

Q.  Can I order an accident report online?

An accident report can be ordered online through the CLEMIS system website.  You must have the accident (incident) report number or the driver's license number of the driver involved in he accident.  For further information, click here.

Q.  What is a "Status Offense"?

A status offense is any violation of a law passed by the State or local legislative body which would not be a crime if committed by an adult and which is specifically applicable to youth because of their age status.  Status offenses include curfew violations, runaways,, home incorrigibility, school truancy, minors in possession of alcohol, minors operating a motor vehicle under the influence of alcohol, and the use or possession of tobacco products.