Information for Mayor and City Council Candidates 2021
Ways to Register to Vote - in-person at City Hall, online, at a local Secretary of State office, or by mail.
Next Election - City General - November 2, 2021
IMPORTANT ELECTION DATES
- Last day to register in any manner other than in-person with the Local Clerk for the November 2, 2021 election is October 18, 2021.
- Tuesday, October 19 through 8:00 pm on November 2, 2021 - In-person voter registration with proof of residency with the Local Clerk.
- Friday, October 29, 2021 is the last day to request an Absentee Ballot by mail until 5:00 pm.
- Up to 4:00 pm on Monday, November 1, 2021 - Voters may obtain an absent voter ballot in-person and vote and submit ballot in the Clerk’s office. Photo ID required.
- On Election Day - Tuesday, November 2, 2021 - Election day new registrants may obtain and vote an absent voter ballot in person in the Local Clerk’s office or vote in-person in the proper precinct. Additional instructions will be provided by Clerk staff at time of in-person registration at City Hall.
- Saturday Hours - City Hall will be open for absentee ballots and voter registration the weekend before an election - 8:00 am - 4:00 pm.
- Ways to Register to Vote - in-person at City Hall, online, at a local Secretary of State office, or by mail.
VERIFY YOU ARE REGISTERED TO VOTE OR TRACK YOUR ABSENTEE BALLOT
Absentee Voting Options
All eligible registered voters in Michigan may now request an absent voter ballot without providing a reason. Absentee voting is a convenient way to cast a ballot instead of going to the voting precinct on Election Day. Even though you may be on the Permanent List, you still must submit an application for an absentee ballot for every election.
Fill out the absentee ballot request form and submit it to the City Clerk:
Grosse Pointe City Clerk
17147 Maumee Avenue
Grosse Pointe MI 48230-1589
Ways to Request an Absentee Ballot
Apply ONLINE, click online
Complete and Print fillable form
Pickup application at City Hall
Ways to Return Absentee Ballot Applications
Use City Drop Box - 24/7
Fax form to 313-885-0820
Email form to firstname.lastname@example.org
Ways to Return a Voted Absentee Ballot
Use City Drop Box - 24/7
Bring into City Hall
By Mail - Please mail at least 5-7 business days prior to Election Day
Return ASAP or by Election Day
NEW !! The Absent Voter Ballot envelopes have a new look redesigned to meet USPS standards. A voter who requests an absentee ballot will receive a blue and white envelope containing their ballot. The envelope to return an absentee ballot is green and white, and must be signed and dated to be counted.
Permanent Absentee Voter List - Voters can request to be on the Permanent Absentee Voter List for future elections. Voters who join the mailing list must do so in writing and will receive an application by mail prior to every election.
Permanent Absentee Voter List Application
What to Expect When Voting At The Polls
Instructions on How to Mark Your Ballot and Use Voting Equipment in the City of Grosse Pointe - click here
Voting hours for all elections are 7:00 am to 8:00 pm.
Photo identification is required at the polls. See City Clerk, Document Center for a detailed explanation of acceptable forms of photo identification.
Where do residents of the City of Grosse Pointe vote?
All registered voters who live in the City of Grosse Pointe vote at Maire School, 740 Cadieux Road. (Parking lot entrance is off of Waterloo).
Am I eligible to vote?
Qualified voters must be able to answer yes to the following statements:
- You are a citizen of the United States
- You are a resident of the State of Michigan for 30 days
- You are a resident of the City of Grosse Pointe
Is there a Permanent Absentee Ballot Application Mailing List?
Yes. If you would like an application for an Absentee Ballot mailed to you approximately 6 weeks prior to the election, please submit a request in writing (email submittal to email@example.com is acceptable ), using the Perm AV List Request form (link above), or call (313) 885-5800. A voter who submits a request will have their name placed on the permanent list; which allows an application to be mailed to you prior to each election.
Because I registered to vote by mail and have not voted in Michigan before, I must vote in person. Is there a way I can vote absentee?
Under Michigan law, if you register to vote by mail, you must appear in person to vote in the first election in which you wish to participate (this provision does not apply if you are 60 years old, disabled, or an overseas voter.)